A few weeks ago I announced that I was joining in iHanna's 2012 postcard swap. I'll take you through the process I used to make my entries, something fun and completely new to me, linoleum print reduction!
Although the finished product looks rather simple, this was a long intensive labor of love with many days of drying time between each application of color.
Next I took cardboard boxes and cut them down exactly to the size of the print block.
I sketched out the rough outline of my design.
After carving away everything except what I wanted to print, I went to the print house and inked up the block with my background color, white.
Next I set my block into the Showcard or "Poster" press. This machine is basically a glorified rolling pin. It has one cylinder with a handle that can be moved to adjust the pressure. You manually set each piece of paper or card over the block that you have manually inked with a brayer and then you roll the cylinder over the job.
After a few days of drying time, I took my block back and inked it up again. I printed the entire run of cards with the second color. Everything I had carved away from the block remained white this time, and everything left on the block changed to red...
There was nothing to do but let all the cards dry and hope that with my third color, things would improve.
I set the 2-color cards out on racks to dry, cleaned up, and came home to carve away the final changes to the block.
My last color was black. I had no idea how much to carve away. How much makes definition and how much makes drama? Once it's carved away it's gone and there's no going back...
A few days later I went to print all the cards for the third time. As you can see there was very little left of the printing block at this point.
And below: Wet, freshly printed cards with the 3rd and final color, black. I had hoped the slasher look would disappear, but instead it just looks like older blood to me! That's OK because I understand what creality is...
*Special thanks to my friend Goog over at Journey of a Mermaid who helped me with the first run of color and all the awesome photography! It was her idea to try printing the cards on both the FRONT and the back of the cereal boxes. I love you g'friend..! xx
For those of you in the swap who like my cards or want to follow my creative journey, please visit the Studio Mailbox Facebook Page, for more regular TJ news and info.